Dive into 3D printing
Located in the ITC, 1710 E. Sorority RowOpens in new window
3D-Printing is available to UW students, faculty , and staff on a first-come, first-served basis.
Steps to Use the 3D Printer
- Save 3D file(s) as a ".obj", or ".stl" format. The ".thing" format for MakerBot printers only,
- Choose desired finished size (in inches) and filament color (current colors: Blue, Purple, Gray, Translucent White),
- Go to the Online 3D Printing Request form Opens in new window
- Files sizes are limited to 50mb or smaller as attachments in the online 3D Request form.
- Larger files need to be delivered to the ITC Service Center (ITC 160), M-F, 9am-4pm,
- Printing Charges are for time: $.75 per half hour, rounded to the nearest half hour ($1.50 per hour),
- After files are received printing time cost estimates will be provided based on desired finished object size and resolution.
- Printers use ".makerbot" print file types, or ".stl", and ".obj" files for the PRUSA printer,
- When creating projects, please consider that some assembly/cleanup will always be required,
- Use a 3-D CAD model from SolidWorks, Google SketchUp, or similar program, to create the ".stl" file required,
- Maximum build volume 9.9 x 7.8 x 5.9 inches,
- The material used is Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene Copolymer. The data sheet for the material can be found here: Makerbot ABS 3D Printer Filament
- Print media colors may include: black, white, clear, gray, orange, green, yellow, blue, and purple.
More detail on
current installed 3D-Printers: Makerbot Replicator+, and 5th Gen Replicator and the
original PRUSA i3 MK2S.